Making Cookie Monster cupcakes is simple for any decorator to create, regardless of skill level. They make a great project for a rainy or snowy afternoon, even if you aren't celebrating a Sesame Street-themed birthday party. Kids can even get in on a decorating action by helping add Cookie's facial details.
Easy Cookie Monster Cupcake Directions
Cookie Monster is a popular character from Sesame Street, and it is easy to see why. Children and adults alike understand his obsession with delicious cookies of all kinds - especially chocolate chip cookies. Whip up some delicious cupcakes and create Cookie Monster on top by following easy directions.
Blue Fur Directions
- Bake and cool your favorite flavor of cupcakes. These could be from a box mix or make your own. Consider choosing a themed flavor like cookie dough or chocolate sandwich cookie filled cupcakes.
- Allow cupcakes to cool.
- When cupcakes are cool to the touch, make some easy buttercream frosting. Add blue food coloring until you reach the desired shade of Cookie Monster's fur. Use a child's toy or book for reference of his exact color.
- Frost the top of each cupcake with a very thin layer of the blue frosting.
- Fill a pastry bag with the frosting and attach a star tip to the end.
- Pipe small star tips over the entire top of the cupcake. Instead of releasing pressure on the tip bag, pull the end of the tip up, so the top flops over. This helps it look more like fur.
After all of the cupcakes have been frosting, get out black rolled fondant. Roll it out to approximately ¼ inch. Use a small glass or circle cookie cutter to cut out half the amount of mouths you need. Cut each circle in half to create an open black mouth. Attach the mouth onto the bottom half of the cupcake using fondant or royal icing adhesive.
Buttercream can also create the mouth. If you choose to create a buttercream mouth, simply outline the shape of Cookie Monster's mouth onto the cupcake before you add the fur frosting. Fill the mouth outline with buttercream frosting and smooth it out with a spatula. Then continue on making the blue fur for Cookie Monster.
Cooke Monster's eyes can be made two ways:
- Add a black buttercream circle in the center of a marshmallow or other round white candy. Use royal icing adhesive or a toothpick to attach the eyes to the rest of the cupcake.
- Roll white fondant into circles and add mini black fondant circles to the white balls. Attach them to the cupcakes using toothpicks.
Cookie Monster's eyes often wobble and roll in a crazy manner when he gets around his beloved cookies, so consider making his pupils a little crooked instead of looking straight. This helps add a little extra fun to the cupcakes.
Optional Cookie Directions
Cookie Monster is always eating his favorite cookies, so add them to your Cookie Monster cupcakes. Even young children can help add cookies. Buy or make mini chocolate chip cookies and attach them to the cupcake with a little royal icing adhesive. For a different look to the cupcake, place half of a regular sized cookie sticking out of Cookie's mouth.
Other Cupcake Ideas for Cookie Monster
Several other options are available for creating cupcakes that feature Cookie Monster. Try one of these ways:
- Decorate a cupcake cake in the shape of Cookie Monster. Put cupcakes together and frost as one large Cookie Monster face or body.
- Frost a cupcake with blue frosting and add cupcake toppers, like plastic picks or rings, featuring Cookie Monster.
- Print an edible image of Cookie Monster and add it to a fondant piece that covers the top of a cupcake. Add a star buttercream border for a little added flair.
- Pick up a discontinued Wilton cake pan that has Cookie Monster in cupcake size and create your own cupcakes following the enclosed directions.
Cookie Monster cupcakes are a fun and easy cupcake to make for a birthday party or for anyone who simply loves the furry blue monster. Decorate Elmo cupcakes, Oscar the Grouch, Big Bird or other characters from Sesame Street to round out the gang.