Children are not the only people that will enjoy a Scooby Doo birthday cake. There are many adult fans of the mystery cartoon and its signature talking Great Dane. If you'd like to make such a cake, you have a couple options.Either use a Scooby Doo cake pan, icing the cake to look like the character or you can create a design completely from scratch. It's also possible to go the super easy way and just make a round or rectangular cake and put plastic Scooby Doo characters on top of it.
Using Scooby Doo Cake Pans
When you purchase a Scooby Doo cake pan, it usually comes with a paper insert with cake decorating instructions that will show you exactly how to ice it. It's easier to make the details of Scooby's body and face if you use a piping bag instead of just a knife. He has a pretty intricate collar and tag, and you don't want to forget his spots.
Many retailers sell Scooby Doo pans. If you can't find one at your local party supply or cake supply store, try Wilton. You may also be able to find one on eBay or another Internet auction site.
Making Your Own Scooby Doo Birthday Cake
If you decide to make your cake using a custom design instead of using a novelty pan, it's probably easier to make the Mystery Machine, which is the VW bus that the Scooby Doo crew uses, than a three dimensional version of Scooby Doo's body. It can be more fun too, since you can incorporate the entire gang from the cartoon and use a lot of bright and festive colors. It also gives you a flat surface to use to write your birthday greeting. If you need a reference at any time, check out this picture.
- Bake six 9 by 13 inch sheet cakes, any flavor, and let them cool.
- Ice the tops of five of the cakes, not worrying about the sides at this point.
- Stack the cakes on top of one another, making sure the un-iced cake is on top of the stack.
- Looking at your cake with one of the longest sides facing you, carve starting about 2 inches from the left side and angling to the left. Stop when you're about halfway down the cake. This will give you a cutout for the windshield. Discard the cake you cut off.
- On the opposite side of the cake, carve a gentle curve, with the widest part falling in the middle of the cake. This forms the back of the van.
- Cover the entire cake with turquoise icing. Wilton buttercream works great.
- Using colored fondant, create the green squiggles, flowers and lettering.
- Cut a rectangle and two trapezoids out of white fondant to use for the windshield and side windows.
- Use any type of chocolate cookies for the wheels.
- Purchase plastic Scooby Doo characters of the appropriate size at your local toy store. Place them in front of the Mystery Machine or press them into the cake so that they appear to be leaning out the windows.
- Write your birthday message on top of the bus.
This is only one idea for how to make a Scooby Doo birthday cake. Feel free to use it as a starting point to your own unique creation. Keep in mind that if you plan to sell this cake commercially, you may have to purchase a character license to do so legally.