Learning how to make a bunny rabbit cake is an especially useful investment for any decorator. Spring parties, Easter celebrations, and birthday bashes are all ideal occasions for bunny cakes, so picking up the skills necessary to make one will certainly pay off.
Directions for a Bunny Rabbit Cake
There are dozens of variations on the below cake, so feel free to deviate from the instructions and use an original idea or inspiration from other models to create the type of cake you think is most fitting.
- Bake a two layer, rectangular sheet cake that is 9 inches by 13 inches or larger. Let the cake cool, and assemble the layers.
- Empty a bag of sweetened coconut flakes into a large bowl. Mix a very small amount of water with several drops of green food coloring, and add the green liquid to the bowl. Toss the mixture thoroughly until all of the coconut is tinted green. Lay the coconut out on a baking sheet to dry, and place the baking sheet in a warm (but not operating) oven.
- Brush the cake completely free of crumbs, and use a flat spatula to coat the top and sides with a thick layer of white buttercream frosting. Smooth the frosting out as evenly as possible.
- Trace the outline of a rabbit on a large sheet of parchment paper. Make sure the rabbit shape can comfortably fit in the middle of the cake. Cut out the shape.
- Check on the coconut. When it's dry, remove it from the oven.
- Place the rabbit shape in the middle of the cake. Smooth down the edges, but don't press the shape into the cake.
- Sprinkle green coconut all around the rabbit shape, including on the sides of the cake.
- Gently peel off the rabbit shape. Using a pastry bag filled with black buttercream and fitted with a round tip, pipe an outline around the bunny.
- Use pink and black buttercream to pipe on a nose, eyes, mouth, ears, and spots, if you like.
- Finish the cake by pressing colored jelly beans in a border around the top and bottom edges or using jelly beans to embellish the bunny.
A Must-Have Skill for Cake Decorators
Knowing how to make a bunny rabbit cake is a skill that every cake decorator can use. If it's not already in your toolbox, practice by making a sample cake, and share the tasty results with family and friends.