An acrylic cupcake holder offers the perfect way to display your finely decorated and delicious cupcakes without distracting from them with a bulky or ostentatious holder design. With several types of holders available in different sizes, it is easy to find one to suit your cupcake needs.
What Is Acrylic
Acrylic is a type of strong, rigid plastic derived from the organic compound acrylic acid, which is also found in paints, adhesives, polishes, and numerous other products. Typically clear, this plastic is strong and durable while being lightweight, making it perfect for practical holders and dishes. Acrylic plastic can break but with proper care, it will last for years without noticeable scratches, dents, or damage.
Acrylic Cupcake Holder Designs
Cupcakes can be beautifully decorated, but if they must be displayed only on a simple plate or tray, their beauty can be lost. A proper cupcake holder stand will showcase your fun cupcake designs in different tiers, allowing them to stand out. A tiered holder also saves space and can be a simple yet lovely centerpiece for a party, holiday, or other special occasion.
When choosing a cupcake holder, consider the following characteristics to find one that will best meet your dessert display needs:
- Number of tiers and overall cupcake capacity, including whether cupcakes can be different sizes
- Ease of assembly and whether or not it can be disassembled for easy storage
- Sturdiness, balance, and stability when full or partially filled
- Weight, for ease of handling and sturdiness
- Whether it has shelves, indentations, or holes for holding cupcakes in place
- Safety features, including a lip to prevent cupcakes from sliding on the tiers
- The size and shape of the top tier and if it can be used for a small cake, decorations, or other accents
- Whether or not the entire display or individual tiers can be rotated for easy serving and access
Decorating the Cupcake Holder
The benefit of choosing an acrylic cupcake holder is that the stand itself will not detract from elaborately decorated cupcakes. In fact, many bakers prefer simple cupcake stands so the cupcakes themselves are the focal point and the clear stand is less noticeable. If you do wish to decorate the cupcake stand for more flair, however, there are many lovely options.
- Bake cupcakes of different sizes to add dimension to the display, or alternate the types of cupcakes on each tier.
- Use decorative cupcake liners, such as metallic papers, die cut shapes, or patterned papers.
- Add small accents in between cupcakes, such as flowers or greenery.
- Add ribbons or swags to the edge of the tiers, or line each tier with a colored napkin or doily.
- Use a larger than necessary cupcake holder and decorate alternating tiers with related items, such as flowers for a wedding, baby block or toys for a baby shower, or pine boughs for Christmas.
- Decorate the table beneath the stand to coordinate with the cupcakes.
An acrylic cupcake stand can last for years if it is properly maintained. Read the manufacturer's recommendations for cleaning and storage, and keep any receipts or warranty information in case of defects or damage. While many acrylic holders are dishwasher safe, it is better to hand wash the holders with a soft cloth and mild soap to minimize the risk of scratches or discoloration. Wash the holder both before and after every use. When storing the cupcake holder, disassemble the tiers (if possible) and add a layer of tissue or soft cloth between each one to avoid scratches. Store the holder in its original box if available, and keep it with other cake decorating and display supplies for convenience.
Where to Buy Cupcake Holders
Purchase acrylic cupcake stands from specialty bakery supply stores, wedding stores, and online retailers. They can cost from $15 to $250 or higher depending on the size and style of the holder, though it may be possible to rent a cupcake holder from independent bakers for a fraction of that cost. Online merchants offering acrylic holders for sale include:
- Crystal Palace Cupcake Tree: A multi-tiered stand available in different sizes to accommodate 8-200 cupcakes
- eFavorMart: A five-tier stand with a clear central tube that can be filled with coordinating accents
- Walmart: Acrylic cupcake stands in different sizes and configurations
If you can't find a cupcake holder you like that is made from acrylic, other designs are available made from glass, coated wire, or even recyclable cardboard. Additional holder designs for carrying cases and tiered trays are also available, though they are often made of less rigid plastic, not acrylic.
An acrylic cupcake holder can be a beautiful display for a beautiful dessert. With many different design features and decorating options, it is easy to take a simple acrylic holder and create a beautiful centerpiece to showcase your designer cupcakes.