Ingredients for Pastillage Recipe
- 1 pound of confectioner's sugar
- ½ cup of cornstarch
- ¼ cup of cool water
- ¼ teaspoon of cream of tartar
- 1 envelope of gelatin
- In a large bowl, mix the sugar, cornstarch, and cream of tartar.
- Place the cool water into a small saucepan and sprinkle the gelatin over the water.
- Let the gelatin soak in the water for at least five minutes.
- Then place the saucepan over a low flame and stir until the gelatin has completely dissolved and the water has warmed.
- Place the dough hook attachment on your stand mixer and pour the gelatin mixture into the bowl of your mixer.
- Using the lowest speed setting, slowly add the sugar mixture to the gelatin.
- Mix until the pastillage is smooth.
- Immediately remove the pastillage from the mixing bowl and wrap it in plastic wrap. Keep in mind that pastillage becomes stiff very quickly.
- Remove as much pastillage from the plastic wrap as you will use for one decoration and add powdered food coloring to achieve the shade you are looking for.
- Mold the pastillage into whatever shape you want.
- Pastillage can be used to make flowers by forming it into petals and then putting the petals together to form the flower.
- Once your figures and flowers have been made, just let them air dry and then use them to decorate your cake.